Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Bollywood's Hunk John Abraham Interview


I am the only actor who does not use make-up. I use anti-suntan cream to safeguard my skin and keep it healthy, says John

Once, it was only women who hankered after fairness creams in their pursuit for lighter skin. Now, manufacturers of cosmetics are trying their best to force men to join the bandwagon as well.

And helping them in this endeavour are our Bollywood celebrities. First it was Shah Rukh who urged young men to become fair and handsome and now it’s the hunky John Abraham who will tread the same path by endorsing a fairness product.

He spoke to us about fairness and films…

Do you think it’s really necessary to market fairness products aimed specially at men?

It is high time men groomed themselves. And that’s not because they need to entice the opposite sex, but because men need to take care of their skin and their looks.

Akshay Kumar had once stated that it’s so ‘girlie’ to endorse fairness creams. What do you have to say about that?

Well, it is Akki’s way of looking at it. Everybody has their own way of looking at things. As far as I am concerned, I have chosen to endorse a brand because I feel using a fairness cream does not mean making your skin look lighter, but it helps to take care of the skin by reducing the dark spots and blemishes.

Why do you think it’s so important to look good?

I used to have a lot of pimples on my face earlier because of which I used to shy away from people. I kept hiding my face. I did not have the guts to even look into the mirror then.

Now being in the visual medium I have realised the importance of looking good and hence I take this opportunity of educating men that there is no harm in taking care of your skin, also your face which is the most important part of your body.

If you look pleasant you feel good, gain confidence and are able to work much more efficiently. Gone are the days when only women needed to look beautiful.

Talking about women and beauty, how would you rank Bipasha Basu’s skin?

Oh, it’s a proven fact that Bips has very smooth and beautiful skin. I give her a 20 on 10 for that.

Will Bips rate your skin higher, now that you’re using a cream yourself?

(Laughs) Actually I have just started using the cream. But even otherwise Bips gives me a 10 on 10.

You and Bipasha have appeared together in a number of endorsements. So why didn’t you endorse this brand together as well?

The choice rests with the company. Moreover, there was no need for a glamour quotient as the product has been specifically designed for men.

How would you define a metrosexual man?

I love to be real. A metrosexual man is one who takes care of his skin, nails and the rest of his body. The physique needs to be manly and it’s not just for showing it off. A real man should be like me (laughs).

Look, I am the only actor who does not use make-up. I use anti-suntan cream to safeguard my skin and keep it healthy.

Tell us about the nude scene in New York?

I am now allowed to talk about it.

Tell us about the film then.

The film is a serious one. It is about the US post 9/11. It is even more topical after the terror attacks in India. Kabir has done a lot of research on the subject as a result of which the shoot was a good one for all of us. There were many shots which were emotional and gruelling as well.

You have been shooting a lot all over the US… earlier for Dostana and then for New York.

I was away from India for a long time. I really missed my parents and my family. I was away from Bips as well. I did feel homesick.

You love doing films for Karan Johar and Aditya Chopra?

Yes. I have some great films from them – “Dhoom”, “Kaal”, “Dostana”, “Kabul Express” and now “New York”. All these films have given me a new high and have also changed my career.

Nagesh Kukunoor and David Dhawan too have faith in me and what I am today has been a result of that. I know I am not the best actor in the world but I have been lucky that people have believed in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment